Home   Sport   Article

Unbeaten Heacham's stock continues to rise in Anglian Combination Premier Division

Unbeaten Heacham's stock continues to rise as they moved five points clear at the top of the Anglian Combination Premier Division.

The depleted Magpies – missing eight first-team regulars including their prolific front three of Jack Defty, John Flanagan and Nathan Davies – came from behind to secure a 3-1 victory at Waveney to make it seven successive league wins.

Manager David Griggs said: "We didn't panic after going behind. I knew if the lads raised it another ten per cent and scored the next goal that we'd go on and win.

Wisbech Town striker Dylan Edge, getting some minutes under his belt, was on target for Heacham on Saturday. (51766523)
Wisbech Town striker Dylan Edge, getting some minutes under his belt, was on target for Heacham on Saturday. (51766523)

"They couldn't get the ball near our box in the second half and in truth we could have scored even more.

"The lads who have come into the team have been excellent and our character and fitness has been a major reason behind that."

Waveney took the lead in controversial fashion with goalkeeper Sam Pishorn sprawled out on the floor with an injury.

But as in every other game this season, the Magpies' extra class and strength in depth pulled them through in the second half.

They were helped by Wisbech Town and former Linnets striker Dylan Edge, who was brought in to get some minutes under his belt after a recent injury.

Edge slotted home an equaliser ten minutes into the second half before Alex Clunan put Heacham ahead direct from a corner.

Super-sub Connor Young then came off the bench to wrap up the three points late on.

"Dylan was excellent for us," said Griggs after the game.

"He was excellent on the ball and gave us that extra little bit of quality."

Next up for the Magpies is a home Mummery Cup clash against Hellesdon and Dussindale Rovers on Saturday.

"Obviously doing well in the league is our priority, but we've got got to be thinking that we can win this cup too," said Griggs.

"The aim on Saturday is make sure that our name is in the hat for the next round."

North West Norfolk League

Division One

Watlington 3 Heacham 3

A young Heacham Reserves squad visited a strong Watlington side and after 10 minutes, direct from a free-kick, Watlington took the lead.

Heacham came out and grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck after the break.

Within ten minutes of the second half they had equalised with a contender for goal of the season from Joe Ellis.

The mainly-teenage Heacham side dominated with two great goals from Fletcher Toll on 70 and 85 minutes.

Both sides were advised everyone there was five minutes to play, but the game ended some 11 to 13 minutes later inexplicably, with Watlington scoring two goals in the dying stages.

It was a tough pill to swallow, but it was still a great performance from a very inexperienced Heacham squad who remain top of the table.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More