Home   Sport   Article

Heacham Social Club take cup spoils following seven-goal final thriller

Heacham Social Club and The Woottons served up a seven-goal thriller in North West Norfolk Football League Division Three League Cup final held over from last season.

Held at Fakenham Town’s Clipbush Park, the game started in frantic style as The Woottons took the lead on five minutes through an Adam Darlow own goal.

The early goal set the tone for the rest of the evening and it didn’t take long before Heacham Social Club had turned the game on its head through efforts from Luke Biles and Paul English.

Cup fnal 2 (42613446)
Cup fnal 2 (42613446)

As the half drew to an end, The Woottons grabbed an equaliser through Oliver Gates, who tapped home from close range.

The second half commenced with the scores tied at 2-2, but it took just two minutes before Heacham Social Club had regained their lead through Sean Naylor.

Shortly after, The Woottons were made to pay for their slow start to the half as they found themselves another goal down as Chris Girdlestone gave Heacham Social Club a two-goal advantage for the first time in the contest.

The next 20 minutes saw some thoroughly entertaining end-to-end football, with both teams creating some great chances to score.

However, on 70 minutes, referee Chris Brown pointed to the spot to award The Woottons a penalty and Jack George stepped up to confidently dispatch the kick to make it 4-3.

Both teams continued to press for more goals, but the game came to a close with Heacham Social Club taking the win.

Cup final 1 (42613438)
Cup final 1 (42613438)

Man of the match went to The Woottons number 10 George Smith.

Again thank you to all players, officials and spectators who showed their support for the QE Bereavement Suite Appeal fund and thanks to all supporters who braved the wet conditions to support both clubs.

The league also Fakenham Town FC for ensuring the game was played out in a COVID 19 safe manner.

The North West Norfolk Football League has two more league cup finals to play before the end of October, and it would be great to see these supported as well as the first one.

Next Friday (October 16), King’s Lynn Soccer School take on Marshland Saints in the Division Two showpiece and on the following week (October 23) Snettisham and Dersingham Reserves do battle in the Division One final.

Both games will be hosted by Fakenham Town Football Club and have 7.30pm kick-offs.

Match officials (42613442)
Match officials (42613442)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More