Home   Sport   Article

King's Lynn in super play-off final

Striker Adam Marriott struck twice this afternoon to leave King’s Lynn Town one match from promotion to the National League.

The frontman was on target early in either half while Michael Gash added a third as the Linnets booked their place in the ‘Super’ Play-off final at Warrington with a 3-0 victory over Alvechurch.

A 2-1 reverse shattered their hopes 12 months ago when they lost at home to Slough, but Ian Culverhouse’s side made amends this time around with a vintage performance at the Walks.

The Linnets named an unchanged starting line-up from Saturday’s 3-1 victory over Stratford, while Alvechurch made a couple of changes from their 2-1 semi-final success against Stourbridge with Dave Bellis and Andre Landell both coming in.

In a fast-and-furious start, Rory McAuley had an early coming together with Andre Landell as Lynn starting on the front foot.

A long ball over the top from Chris Henderson had the visiting defence back-pedalling and goalkeeper Dan Crane had to be quick to stop the advancing Michael Gash.

The hosts took the lead after 10 minutes with Marriott creating a little bit of space for himself on the edge of the box and drilling the ball past a helpless Crane.

Lynn remained well on top and Marriott was involved again as he exchanged passes with Jordan Richards before shooting wide from an almost identical position as his goal a few minutes earlier.

Alvechurch were always a threat with the physical presence of Landell and the long throw of Tom Tonks causing the Linnets several problems in a frantic first period.

The visitors grew into the game as the half wore on and eight minutes before the break a flick-header from Josh March was confidently claimed by Alex Street.

Visiting goalkeeper Crane used his body well to deny Marriott a second as Lynn went into the interval with the smallest of leads.

The Linnets were quick out of the blocks at the start of the second period with Crane pulling off a breathtaking double save to thwart both Ross Barrows and Marriott in quick succession.

But the Lynn faithful didn’t have to wait much longer before seeing their side double their advantage when Henderson was pole-axed in the box and Marriott stepped up to dispatch the resulting spot-kick four minutes into the second half.

An Alvechurch break saw James Roberts sprint clear of the Lynn defence, but Street was up to the task with an excellent save before Gash added a third with a stooping header in the 87th minute.

The ‘Super’ play-off will be played at Warrington’s Cantilever Park on Saturday (3pm).

King’s Lynn Town: Street, Barrows (Jones 74), Blake-Tracy, Jarvis Fryatt, McAuley, Clunan, Richards, Gash (Mellors-Blair 88), Marriott, Henderson (Hawkins 83). Subs not used: Parker, Robinson.

Attendance: 1617.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More