Home   Sport   Article

King's Lynn Town lose at Dagenham and Redbridge after surrendering two-goal lead

More news, no ads


National League

Dagenham and Redbridge 3 King's Lynn Town 2

King's Lynn Town surrendered a two-goal defeat at Dagenham and Redbridge as their three-game unbeaten run was ended in bitterly disappointing fashion this afternoon.

Despite finding themselves on the back foot for much of the first half, goals from Alex Kiwomya and Michael Gash put the Linnets in control going into the break.

But three second-half goals saw the Essex side complete the unlikeliest of comebacks as they turned their overall dominance into goals.

Michael Gash battles for the ball (43537954)
Michael Gash battles for the ball (43537954)

Linnets manager Ian Culverhouse kept faith with the same starting eleven which secured a 1-0 victory over Eastleigh on Tuesday night.

The only change came on the bench, where recent signing Tyler Denton was named among the Lynn substitutes.

Dagenham enjoyed plenty of possession in the opening quarter of the contest with Elliott Johnson twice going close from distance.

The Linnets thought they had taken the lead after 27 minutes when Adam Marriott had the ball in the back of the net, but his effort was ruled out for offside.

But they didn't have to wait too much longer before getting their noses in front as Kiwomya netted with an outstanding finish.

Dagenham almost replied immediately after Angelo Balanta, playing behind Pat McCallum for the hosts, saw his shot come back off the post.

Four minutes before the break Lynn countered and a dangerous ball from Marriott flashed across the face of goal.

Deep into first half stoppage time, Cameron King delivered a peach of a ball from the right and Gash was on hand to bundle the ball home.

Dagenham dangerman McCallum was denied at the near post early in the second half as Lynn goalkeeper Archie Mair tipped the ball over his woodwork.

Sam Saunders saw an effort deflected over the crossbar while McCallum blasted another opportunity over the top.

The home side's relentless pressure eventually paid dividends as Callum Reynolds reduced the deficit with a header in the 72nd minute.

Five minutes later they were on level terms as Andrew Eleftheriou's cross-cum-shot bamboozled Mair to find the back of the net.

The drama continued late into the game as Dagenham and Redbridge were awarded a penalty.

Mitch Brundle saw his spot-kick brilliantly saved by Mair and the Linnets thought they had done enough to go home with a share of the spoils.

But Brundle went from zero to hero in the space of a few seconds as he made amends for his penalty miss by scoring the winner from the resulting corner kick.

Dagenham and Redbridge: Justham, Eleftheriou, Reynolds, Croll, Johnson (Gordon 62), Brundle, Rance, Saunders, Deering, Balanta, McCallum. Subs not used: Strizovic, Robinson, McQueen, Wilson.

King's Lynn Town: Mair, Jones, Callan-McFadden, Smith, Richards, Gash, Marriott (Mitchell 73), Jarvis, King (Denton 61), Barrows, Kiwomya (Carey 36). Subs not used: Gyasi, Southwell.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More