Home   Sport   Article

Jones strikes late as fantastic King's Lynn Town come from behind to win at Maidenhead United

Maidenhead United 2 King's Lynn Town 3

A last-minute winner from Aaron Jones sealed a dramatic, late turnaround for National League newcomers King's Lynn Town as they recorded their first-ever victory over Maidenhead United.

Two penalties early in either half appeared to have sentenced the Linnets to their first defeat of the campaign after a Simon Power screamer had squared matters going into the break.

But Dayle Southwell levelled matters seven minutes from time and Jones drilled home a late winner to send Ian Culverhouse's side home with all three points.

Aaron Jones was voted man of the match. Picture: Ian Burt. (42536501)
Aaron Jones was voted man of the match. Picture: Ian Burt. (42536501)

Lynn went behind in controversial fashion after just six minutes. Maidenhead's Nathan Blissett appeared to man-handle defender Rory McAuley on his way to squaring the ball for Sparkes.

The referee refused to award Lynn a free-kick and Sparkes was bundled over in the box by Alex Brown before Barratt stepped up to smash home the resulting penalty kick.

Defender Jones saw his effort deflected wide and Cameron King saw a powerful effort acrobatically saved by Taye Ashby-Hammond to his left as Lynn began to assert their authority on proceedings.

Lynn boss Ian Culverhouse. Picture: Ian Burt. (42536490)
Lynn boss Ian Culverhouse. Picture: Ian Burt. (42536490)

Ian Culverhouse's side needed a little bit of magic to get themselves back into the game.

And it was Power who provided it in the 41st minute when his right-footed free-kick on the edge of the box fizzed into the top corner of the net.

After hauling themselves back into the match it was the woodwork that denied the visitors from taking the lead a minute later after a lobbed effort from Marriott came back off the crossbar.

Two minutes before the break, Alex Street was at full-stretch to turn away a powerful effort from Ryheem Sheckleford.

Maidenhead regained the lead through Barratt's second spot-kick of the evening after Rory McAuley clearly handled the ball in the box.

The visitors made a double substitution midway through the second half as they looked to find a way back into the game and it almost arrived as Jordan Richards glanced a header just wide of the target.

Dayle Southwell wheels away after scoring Lynn's first goal of the new season. Picture: Ian Burt. (42536514)
Dayle Southwell wheels away after scoring Lynn's first goal of the new season. Picture: Ian Burt. (42536514)

Lynn looked to have salvaged a point with seven minutes left through a long-range strike from Southwell.

There was, though, time for more late drama when a fumble from Magpies keeper Ashby-Hammond saw Jones drill the ball home to snatch victory.

Maidenhead United: Ashby-Hammond, Wells, Donnellan, Parry, Comley (Smile 70), Blisset, Sparkes, Sheckleford (Twumasi 65), Upward, Massey, Barratt (Colney 88). Subs not used: Wiltshire and Orsi.

King's Lynn Town: Street, Jones, Brown, Smith, McAuley, Richards, Marriott (Kelly 73), Jarvis, King (Clunan 67), Southwell, Power (Carey 67). Subs not used: Barrows and Mair.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More