Home   Sport   Article

King's Lynn hit the woodwork twice in National League loss at Altrincham

More news, no ads


National League

Altrincham 3 King's Lynn Town 0

King's Lynn Town's run of bad luck continued with a disappointing National League defeat at Altrincham tonight.

Ian Culverhouse's side failed to get the breaks in Greater Manchester as Josh Hancock registered a brace to take his tally for the season to 11.

Lynn twice hit the woodwork through Simeon Jackson from long range and the Robins were also indebted to a superb save from Tony Thompson as they rode their luck in the opening 55 minutes.

Simeon Jackson who hit the woodwork twice in a 3-0 at Altrincham tonight. Picture: Tim Smith. (45062782)
Simeon Jackson who hit the woodwork twice in a 3-0 at Altrincham tonight. Picture: Tim Smith. (45062782)

The Linnets handed debuts to temporary signings Elkan Baggott and Rob Howard as they finally made their first visit to Moss Lane after four unsuccessful attempts in the last two seasons.

In the National League North, one visit was postponed and another fell victim to the premature end of the season, while his campaign there was further postponements due to waterlogging and then COVID issues.

In the absence of the injured Alex Kiwomya and Grenada World Cup representative Kairo Mitchell, stepping up from the bench to start were both Michael Gash and Jackson as Lynn made four changes from the side beaten 1-0 by Torquay United at the weekend.

The Robins came into the game with five points out of a possible 30, while the Linnets had six from the same number of matches.

It was the hosts who carved out the first opportunity of the game as Alistair Smith saw his effort blocked behind for a corner.

The returning Gash saw his effort comfortably dealt with by Thompson before Jackson saw his 40-yard howitzer come back off the woodwork.

Altrincham took the lead somewhat against the run of play in the 16th minute after Hancock was allowed a free header at the near post to glance the hosts in front from a corner.

Defender Tyler Denton had the ball in the back of the net for Lynn in the 26th minute, but his effort was ruled out for a clear hand ball.

Nine minutes before the break a surging run and shot from Jordan Richards saw the midfielder denied by a stunning save by Thompson and on the strike of half-time Sonny Carey dragged an effort just wide of the target.

Four minutes after the restart, Jackson hit the bar for a second time with an identical strike to his one in the first half.

But two goals in as many minutes ended Lynn's hopes of finding a way back into the game.

With the aid of a deflection, Hancock bent a delightful free-kick into the top right corner to double Altrincham's advantage in the 57th minute.

And worse was to follow when James Hardy was allowed to carry the ball into the box to finish past a stranded Richardson.

Altrincham: Thompson, Richman, Hannigan, Mullarkey, Senior. Smith, Moult. Colcough, Hancock (Williams 81), Hardy, Piggott (Bell 76). Subs not used: Ceesay, Ogle and Peers.

Scorers: Hancock 16, 57; Hardy 59.

King's Lynn Town: Richardson, Callan-McFadden, Smith (Gyasi 62), Clunan, Richards (Payne 82), Gash, Carey, Denton, Jackson (Davies 76), Baggott, Howard. Subs not used: Fleming and Bastock.

Match stats (Altrincham first)

Shots on target: 4, 1.

Shots off target: 10, 7

Corners: 5, 5.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More