Home   Sport   Article

King's Lynn rink hockey players progress to last four of National Cup

More news, no ads


King’s Lynn Rink Hockey Club progressed to the semi-finals of the National Cup with an 11-3 victory over Premier League rivals Peterborough.

Freescoring Lynn began the game aggressively, and were duly rewarded with a flurry of goals that effectively put the contest out of Peterborough’s reach within the first 10 minutes.

The trio of Matthew Baker, Ryan Barnes, and captain Josh Taylor (2) all scored in quick succession to make it 4-0, and set Lynn on course for the next round.

Rink hockley latest (31834507)
Rink hockley latest (31834507)

Lynn built on their dominant start to score a further three in the first half, one of which saw Barnes score a brace with a slapshot from distance, skating into the middle of the rink before hitting an effort in off the crossbar.

Baker then found the net for his second with a rebound from close range, before Jamie Griffin finished clinically at the back post.

Peterborough did manage one of their own in the first half, a comical effort that sailed over the crossbar, bounced off the back wall, and found the net via a deflection off the unwitting keeper’s back.

Lynn did appeal for high ball, but, bizarrely, nothing was given.

With the scoreline 7-1, Lynn opened the second half with a another sweet slapshot, this time from the captain, who made space in the middle of the rink before finding the underside of the crossbar.

Lynn’s next goalscoring opportunity came from the direct spot, following a blue card to Peterborough for a hook on Owen Norris.

Jamie Griffin stepped up to take it, but his effort was saved.

Baker then scored his hat-trick with a wraparound, before Norris had a one-handed flick disallowed for an infraction in the buildup, his knee skimming the floor before he found the net.

Taylor received the second blue card of the game for an unintentional trip, and with their man advantage, Peterborough were able to score a second; but not before Tom Allander saved the direct hit.

Peterborough scored their third of the game at the second time of asking, a close range shot that rebounded straight back to the attacking man to slot home; however, any sign of a Peterborough resurgence there ended.

Baker scored his fourth of the match with a flick from distance, before finishing off the game with a conversion at the far post.

Lynn face Ely and Chesterton United in a two-legged semi final, the first of which takes place on April 25, but not before they host Grimsby at Lynnsport in a game which, if victorious, could see Lynn lift their fifth consecutive Premier League trophy.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More