King’s Lynn U15 rugby team reach Norfolk Cup final

MLNF UBgcZt2MThgzvEhOxH-4
MLNF UBgcZt2MThgzvEhOxH-4
Have your say

Norfolk Cup Semi-Final

West Norfolk U15 32

North Walsham U15 5

West won the toss and chose to kick off. Straight away the home side were attacked with the traditional sleepy West defence allowing the visitors to break through numerous tackles which led to a score in the corner.

West started to play like a team with aggressive forward play throughout the pack. Early injuries to the props meant West had to change the front row.

After continued phases of play West went over the line only to not ground the ball. Two further times the ball crossed the try line but not to score. Finally the ball crossed the line with Jack Trundley scoring.

West were now encamped in their opponents’ half with the forwards running hard lines breaking the defence regularly.

This enabled the ball to be moved along the back line with Connor Warrington taking the ball at pace at the half way line, accelerating leaving the defence behind to score.

Half time score: 10-5.

West’s received the kick off to start the second half and with the team pulling together with immediate forward pressure on their opponents especially in the ruck’s and mauls, the West forwards were now dominant in all departments.

Now on the front foot taking the game to their opponents, the forwards keeping the ball alive. The ball moved down the back line to Trundley with an arching run outpacing the opponents to score.

North Walsham’s spirit remained solid throughout but they were being dominated by West’s power in the forwards and fluid play along the back line.

From this platform West scored further tries through Tom Hitchcock (2) and George Lemon. One try was converted.

A great squad performance from the team with all having a positive contribution to the game in reaching the final.

Squad members: Clingo, Clarke, Smith, Trundley (C), Lemon, Collie, Spurrier, Alvarez, Wilson, Dew, Hitchcock, A Warrington, C Warrington, Lankfer, Quinlan, McCallum, Garrod, Baxter, Dobler, Hunter.

Diss Colts 43

West Norfolk Colts 10

In what was supposed to be an Eastern Counties Cup game, West unfortunately had to concede the match and play a friendly as they could only field 13 players.

Diss kindly loaned West some players and the game went ahead.

West started surprisingly well, forcing Diss back with some strong forward play. This resulted in Josh Cant driving over to open the scoring in West’s favour.

Diss hit back soon after to level the score.

Once again West pushed Diss deep into their own 22 but failed to score after some good defensive work from the hosts.

Diss took advantage of West’s failure to score and took the lead just before half-time (12-5).

After a reshuffle of players, Diss used their fresh legged big forwards to punch holes in the tiring West defence. This resulted in two more tries for Diss.

West were not finished and after some good hands prop Oli Pocket found himself on the wing and after bouncing off two or three defenders he finally placed the ball down.

At this point West were out on their feet having worked extremely hard to contain Diss and as players tired the tackles were missed allowing Diss to close the game out.

The lads showed much determination and spirit.

A special mention for Cant and Sam Ridgewell who carried the ball superbly and Connor Thiart who played with great courage.