Over-confident West Norfolk exit semi-final at Thetford

Have your say

Thetford 41

West Norfolk 22



A combination of over confidence and missing regulars saw West Norfolk’s Norfolk cup ambitions undone as they exited at the semi-final stage away to Thetford.

With a number of backs unavailable, West welcomed the return of Joe Butt, Elliot Danforth and Sean Brundle following lengthy breaks from the squad.

There was a well-deserved start for hooker Christian Newton-Walters, with Paul Bridges and Ryan Walker moving to second row to cover the absence of Rory O’Sullivan and Lee Williamson.

West began well enough in wet but firm conditions, with an early try following a number of close range driving mauls, which resulted in Yousef Edris bursting over.

This was soon proceeded with a second score as a great line from Paul Denton ended with the prop crashing through to give the visitors an early lead.

This early dominance appeared to do two things. Firstly, West began to sit back. It also kicked the hosts into life as they then notched up three tries within a 10-minute period.

With the half coming to a close West fought back again with a try from winger Jake Richardson to close the gap at 19-15 at the break.

The hosts then continued to pressure West with a series of penetrating overhead kicks, keeping the visitors pinned back.

A yellow card to Richardson then frustrated West further, as an additional three tries were scored, including a gifted interception to give Thetford a healthy 41-15 lead.

West regrouped in the final quarter and some fast phases of attacking play from the likes of flanker Freddie Playford and scrum half Sam Greenwood put the visitors back on the front foot.

One such break ended with Sean Brundle touching down. Joe Butt added the conversion to finish the match with West on 22 points and disappointed by their performance on the day.

West now have a weekend off before their final league match of the season, away to Southwold on April 23.

Adrian Flux MoM: Sam Greenwood.