Seven-try bonanza proves sweet revenge for West

Have your say

West Norfolk 45

Lowestoft & Yarmouth 10



A seven-try bonanza proved sweet revenge as West turned the tables on Lowestoft & Yarmouth in the London 3 North East League.

West were well aware of the stern challenge facing them, following a 21-8 defeat in the away fixture earlier in the season.

There were a few changes to the squad with the welcome return of flanker Max Rust and centre Lewys Weaver, plus deserved starts for prop Paul Bridges and, after his man-of-the-match performance at Beccles, second row Yousef Edris making his full first team home debut. Thankfully, a number of the team were able to recover from an outbreak of a sickness bug which occurred during the week. No. 8 Jamie Williamson took the helm as captain with Lawrence Savage and Jake Richardson going onto the bench.

The hosts received the kick off facing the dipping sun in cold, but otherwise decent conditions for running rugby, and were put to the test defensively.



However, West held firm and gradually began to work some attacking phases of their own, which resulted in a couple of half chances to break through from the likes of centre Ed Maule and winger Alex Singleton. Combined with some great tactical kicking from Weaver, West then started to pin Lowestoft back in their own territory.

On the 15 minute mark a flowing backs move from a driving maul ended with full back Ross Biggs cutting through the centre to score under the posts. Fly half Monty Maule converted to make it 7-0.

An infringement at the ruck area saw Lowestoft with a chance to kick at goal, with the warning shot drifting just wide. Despite feeling under the weather, second row Will Dodds was putting in some superb tackles to keep the visitors from rebuilding attacks.

A break from deep saw Singleton put on the afterburners to cut free up the left touch line, before passing back in to Biggs, who went over to complete his brace, Maule adding the extras (14-0).

Another penalty kick opportunity was taken by Lowestoft (14-3).

As half-time loomed, West were on the front foot. Monty Maule offered a neat chip over the trailing defenders for Singleton to chase and gather, as he scored with a clinical finish in the left corner, giving the hosts a 19-3 advantage at the break.

The hosts continued to press following the interval with some good work around the ruck area from the likes of Weaver and Neil Thurston.

An attacking move from deep resulted in Ed Maule jinxing through under the posts, his brother Monty converting (26-3).

In no mood to let up, West’s pack kept the pressure on with some thunderous runs from Williamson, Yousef Edris and Dan Stephenson, before another attack finished in a score when Max Rust split the Lowestoft defence to go over.

With the scores at 33-3, the visitors were now looking a little demoralised and West capitalised with a sixth try when Richardson burst over, Monty Maule converting.

Tommy Windibank also came close to breaking free along the touch line again, before Weaver completed West’s try tally with a scintillating finish.

Lowestoft regrouped and were rewarded with a well taken last minute score.

Club captain Savage said: “This was an awesome performance from the players, despite the issues they’ve had to deal with this week.

“To make a good side look pretty ordinary and create the scoring opportunities they did is a testament to the work all of the lads have put in, not to mention their attitude and hunger to keep improving.”

West now have a weekend off before next travelling to Wanstead on January 31.

Tulip Man of the Match: Sam Greenwood.