Simons smashes treble

Sport news from the Lynn News,, @lynnnewssport on Twitter
Sport news from the Lynn News,, @lynnnewssport on Twitter
Share this article
Have your say

Old Southendians Men 4 Pelicans Men 6

Pelicans made it four points from a possible six from two very challenging away games on Saturday in Southend.

Due to traffic problems on the M11 Pelicans didn’t arrive until 30 minutes after the scheduled start time but due to the circumstances this didn’t mean they had to concede the match.

The first 15 minutes of the game was incredibly fast and end-to-end with Pelicans taking the lead early when Simons scored via a deflection from a short corner.

The home side equalised straight from the push back.

Pelicans then retook the lead when Simons again struck from a well worked short corner, only for the same to happen as a lapse in concentration saw Bower beaten again in goal.

Pelicans started to relax at the back. Major, Page and Allsop started picking out the midfield of Frost, Dowers, Kerry, Picton, Sheerin and Johnstone who covered a lot of ground against a well organised side who they lost 2-1 to on the first day of the season.

They took the lead for a third time in the half from their third short corner: taker Johnstone got the ball back from Lankfer who finished brilliantly first time.

The second half was all about Pelicans’ dominance in the early exchanges.Firstly Lankfer scored with a poacher’s finish. Simons had a shot after being set up by Kerry but Lankfer brilliantly deflected the ball past the keeper.

Simons completed his hat-trick after he seized on a defensive error at the back.

Only tackles from Major, Allsop and Page and some brilliant saves from Bower made sure they kept their lead.

Lankfer scored again after brilliant work by Frost. Old Southendians had the final says on the game as they pulled two late goals back.

Pelicans entertain Brentwood tomorrow in their final game before the Christmas break as they seek to go four games unbeaten.

Middleton Aggregates MoM: Ian Simons.

Ipswich Cranes 1sts 2

Pelicans 2nds 13

Pelicans travelled for a 4pm push back and that could have led to a lethargic start.

However Pelicans scored seven first half goals. There was good passing from early on but the bouncy pitch led to poor control on occasions.

Ashleigh Corbett from nearly on the goal line fired into the far side of the goal to begin the rout.

Half-time could have led to complacency but a team that enjoys itself plays until the final whistle.

The best goal was the last. Collingwood–Smith picked up the ball in his own half, before passing to Widdowson. He then accelerated left drawing another defender before passing to Hall on the right who immediately passed to Corbett’s beautiful lateral run in behind the defence. He in turn serenely passed the ball into Sam Kent’s path who slid in to push the ball home.

Sweeper Matt Taylor narrowly missed getting Man of the Match. Captain Stuart Olley had a fine game.

Scorers: Ashleigh Corbett 3, Sam Kent 3, Josh Widdowson 2, Marcus Hall 2, Shaun Cuthill, Stuart Olley, Iain Page.

MoM: Josh Widdowson.