Home   Whats On   Article

Lost King's Lynn brings the past back to life




Town historian Dr Paul Richards today has another book about the heritage of the town published.

Lost King's Lynn is a fully illustrated description of Lynn's well known and lesser known paces that have been lost over the years.

The 96-page book presents a portrait of a town and a way of life that has radically changed or disappeared, showing not just the industries that have gone but people, streets and places of entertainment.

Lost King's Lynn by Dr Paul Richards
Lost King's Lynn by Dr Paul Richards

Dr Richards says in his foreward to the book that the town has been reshaped over the past 150 years and that "for better and for worse" these changes are highlighted in the six chapters.

He starts with the Lost North End, so dear to the author's heart and goes on to consider Riverside Taverns, the High Street and shops, Norfolk Street and Town Yards, Fleets and Rivers and A Town in Transition, which considers the impact of the London overspill agreement with the GLC in 1962.

King’s Lynn Fire Brigade, Common Staith, 1939 (Norfolk Museums Service (Lynn Museum) (51275016)
King’s Lynn Fire Brigade, Common Staith, 1939 (Norfolk Museums Service (Lynn Museum) (51275016)

Lost King's Lynn is published by Amberley Publishing and costs £15.99. Its ISBN number is ISBN 978-1-44569370-5. It is available in Kindle, Kobo and iBook formats https://www.amberley-books.com/lost-king-s-lynn.html

WH Smith and Sons, c. 1910
WH Smith and Sons, c. 1910
Scott and Sons, the corner of the High Street and Purfleet Street in 1971 when it closed. Well known for its china department.
Scott and Sons, the corner of the High Street and Purfleet Street in 1971 when it closed. Well known for its china department.
A famous picture from the Lynn News. Avant garde artist Gustav Metzger debating with the president of the Lynn Chamber of Trade about plans to demolish Pilot Street in1957. Metzger successfully helmed a campaign to save the street from slum clearances.
A famous picture from the Lynn News. Avant garde artist Gustav Metzger debating with the president of the Lynn Chamber of Trade about plans to demolish Pilot Street in1957. Metzger successfully helmed a campaign to save the street from slum clearances.
True’s Yard, c. 1930 (51275160)
True’s Yard, c. 1930 (51275160)
The Bird in Hand, c. 1960. (Courtesy of www.picture.norfolk.gov.uk) (51275203)
The Bird in Hand, c. 1960. (Courtesy of www.picture.norfolk.gov.uk) (51275203)
St Nicholas’ Chapel Football Team, 1904 (51275216)
St Nicholas’ Chapel Football Team, 1904 (51275216)
Sir Richard Ludwig Bagge, c. 1900. Sir Richard inherited the brewery in King Street in 1908 and sold it and 75 taverns to Steward and Patteson of Norwich in 1929. The brewery was promptly closed, a big blow to the town.
Sir Richard Ludwig Bagge, c. 1900. Sir Richard inherited the brewery in King Street in 1908 and sold it and 75 taverns to Steward and Patteson of Norwich in 1929. The brewery was promptly closed, a big blow to the town.
A bucolic scene ... Sheep at the South Gate, 1905
A bucolic scene ... Sheep at the South Gate, 1905
George Goddard gentlemen's outfitters in 1906. Opened here at 49 High Street in 1895, success meant it expanded next door in 1924.
George Goddard gentlemen's outfitters in 1906. Opened here at 49 High Street in 1895, success meant it expanded next door in 1924.


This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More