Home   News   Article

Swaffham homes bid approved after work to tackle flood risk fears


By Lynn News Reporter


Plans for a development of almost 100 new homes in Swaffham have been unanimously approved by councillors this week, despite questions over their design.

A decision on the latest phase of the Swan’s Nest scheme on Brandon Road was deferred in April, because of flood risk concerns.

At the time, officials called for the scheme to be rejected, claiming not enough had been done to address the issues.

But, after planners tweaked the development to move an open space to the south of the site, members of Breckland Council's planning committee agreed the concerns had been addressed during a meeting on Monday.

Flood authority concerns were also partially allayed by the removal of one home from the application by the developer, Abel Homes, in favour of a flood storage area.

Debi Sherman, the council’s case officer for the project, said the homes would not be at risk of doorstop or indoor flooding.

But Conservative councillor Marion Chapman-Allen questioned the design of the houses, asking why none including chimneys.

Paul LeGrice, managing director of Abel Homes said the developers generally did not include these in their designs.

Committee chairman Nigel Wilkin said this was “very disappointing for Father Christmas”.



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More